Monday, April 2, 2012

Feyenoord football fever!

On Friday, my colleagues took me out to a lovely dinner at a local Rotterdam hotspot. They gave Elliot and I Dutch jerseys--that we had to wear the next night...one of my managers took Elliot, me, and another colleague Inge to the Rotterdam Feyenoord football match against NAC Breda. What an experience! My first European football game! It was pretty awesome. It was also the 75th anniversary of the 42,000-fan stadium. The same guy who opened the stadium 75 years ago opened the game tonight too. 

The game was great! Lots of singing and cheering, jumping up and down. The whole stadium shook! We had such a great time. Feyenord scored a goal in the first three minutes and two more soon after. Made for a slow 2nd half, but the cheers and people watching made it worth the while.

The cheers were the best part of the game. You can't really understand anything they say, first because they're in Dutch and second because they're garbled pretty bad. But Jeroen translated some of them (he's a true Rotterdammer and knows ALL the cheers). My favorite roughly translated as such:

Number 10, number 10!
Your mom's a whore, your mom's a whore!

Classy! Check out the video at the end...second goal in the first 10 minutes of the game! 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...